12.29.2010

The Mixing Bowl: Chocolate Macarons by Marina Ekroos



I was first introduced to the photographer Marina Ekroos while researching info on the Ikea cookbook, Homemade is the Best. I came across a comment by someone, saying that the photographs in that book reminded him/her of the work of Marina Ekroos. Who is this Marina Ekroos? I wondered. I quickly googled her name, found her Web site, and instantly feel in love with her work. Apparently, other people have, too, as there have been a slew of articles written about Marina in the past few months. Most of them mention the similarity between her photos and the Ikea images, and, more importantly, the fact that Marina was creating minimalist aerial food photos long before the Ikea cookbook was ever released. In addition, Marina’s amazing photographs do not only capture the ingredients used in a dish, like the Ikea photos, but also the process, and the finished product. A complete recipe all in one photo! So beautiful and clever! That said, I was, of course, so happy when she agreed to shoot a recipe for us! Those chocolate macarons look delicious and I adore the little guide underneath! Thanks, Marina! To check out more of Marina’s wonderful work online, click here.

[If you need help converting the measurements, click here for a nifty conversion calculator. Recipe adapted from Nohanna.]





13 comments:

Forgotten Fancies said...

Oh wow! How clever!! Thanks for introducing Marina to us.

shaz said...

Thanks for introducing Marina's work. I have sadly neither heard of Marina (nor the Ikea cookbook for that matter) but now I definitely know better. By the way, I bought a copy of Baked recently thanks to your recommendation, can't wait to try some of the recipes out.

Have a great start to the New Year!

Sanjeeta kk said...

The pictures look awesome. So tiny and cute. Good to have dropped here. Lovely space.

Kimberley said...

So pretty! Love the images.

Medifast Coupons said...

Macaroons are only made better by the the chocolate! Lovely photo's, great composition!

Y said...

Fabulous pictures! Wasn't aware of Marina before reading this. Thanks!

baobabs said...

Stunning photos! Thanks for sharing Marina's works. They remind me very much of Ikea's latest cookbook. http://julianaloh.com/blog/?p=3296

dessert girl said...

Shaz: Yay! I can't wait to see what you make!

Sanjeeta: Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

I do adore the photography. It's interesting when you think how the minimalistic message is not the true message being sent by stores like IKEA. Minimalism is a beautiful way to live, but it's an attitude that first has to take place in the heart. Materialism, ugh...

BUT THE MACAROONS!!!! I want to make them so badly. I live in Peru right now and I'm so limited to what I can make. I don't know if I could get the macaroons down. It's a challenge and I want to try it soooon! Maybe in a few weeks I'll muster the courage to try.

dessert girl said...

Good point! A true minimalist wouldn't shop at Ikea to begin with! Let me know if you make the macaroons! :-)

Laetitia said...

I love the quality of your pictures

Meg said...

mmmmmmm everything looks so delicious

Pawling Print Studio said...

saw the ikea images, but a lot of these are new to me! love love love that first one =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...